Even if Trump doesn’t win this round, conditions are ripe for him in the next national political cycle. Hitler finally gained full control of Germany with around 40% backing of the people.
Presently Trump controls about 40% of the American electorate. If he should decide to form a third party, it will be unstoppable because the two old parties will split the remaining 60% of the vote. It may, however, end up being a case where his forces don’t get the 272 electoral votes needed to gain a majority. Meaning that that antiquated electoral college system that everyone wants to get rid of saves the country. You know, that rigged system thing.